“While some have benefited from the campaign, in other cases the scheme has amounted to a land grab by powerful interests with no legal protections or recourse for those who lose out in the process," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.
Hun Sen announced on Tuesday that the campaign would be on hold until after the national elections on July 28.
Council of Ministers’ spokesman Phay Siphan said that the government was working to solve land titling issues and welcomed reports about irregularities.
“We invite third parties to be involved with the process [of land measuring and titling] and want to make it transparent,” he said.
Human Rights Watch said that the Cambodian government had threatened residents who raised complaints.
Hun Sen said last year his titling programme would provide ownership documents to 478,928 families in relation to 1.8 million hectares of land.